Royal Botanic Gardens
For a relaxing day in the city why not take a stroll around Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens. Entry to the gardens is free. The gardens are open every day of the year with a few exceptions for special events where tickets may be required.
Royal Botanic Gardens & The Domain Quick Facts:
- Location: Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
- East of the Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay and Macquarie Street
- Overlooking Farm Cove on the edge of Sydney Harbour
- Founded by Governor Macquarie 1816
- Oldest scientific institution in Australia
- 30 hectares in the heart of the city.
- Home to an outstanding collection of plants from Australia and overseas.
- The Domain surrounds the Gardens featuring spectacular parklands ideal for sport, recreation and entertainment.
- Public access roads and paths were constructed 1831
- A place for the people.
Themed garden areas include:
- Begonia Garden
- Cadi Jam Ora: First Encounters
- Government House Grounds
- Herb Garden
- HSBC Oriental Garden
- Rainforest Walk
- Mrs Macquaries Bushland Walk
- Old Mill Garden & Greenway Terrace
- Palm Grove
- Pioneer Garden
- Rare and Threatened Plants Garden
- Australian Native Rockery
- Palace Rose Garden
- Succulent Garden
- Sydney Fernery
- Sydney Tropical Centre
- Wollemi Pine
- Camellia Garden
Phone: 02-9231 8111 or weekends 02-9231 8125
Fax: 02-9231 8054
Open every day of the year 24 hours
Royal Botanic Gardens:
- November-February: 7 am-8 pm
- March & October: 7 am-6.30 pm
- April & September: 7 am-6 pm
- May & August: 7 am-5.30 pm
- June & July: 7 am-5 pm
Entry is free
(Entry fee: open daily 10 am to 4 pm)
Mount Annan Botanic Garden
Mount Tomah Botanic Garden (Blue Mountains)
- The nearest train station is Martin Place.
- The gardens are also just a short stroll from St James and Circular Quay train stations.
- You can catch a ferry to Circular Quay and stroll to the gardens passing the Sydney Opera House.
- Parking is available along Mrs Macquaries Road, Hospital Road and Macquarie Street. Undercover parking is available at the Domain Car Park. (Parking fees apply)